23 July 2013

Skoobs bloggers' get together


One of the few disadvantages of living in sunny South Africa is the absence of huge conventions or real international author's book launches. This is understandable, seeing as we are many miles removed from, well, mostly all the First World. I've spent a depressingly long time reading online as authors pimp their convention panels and fans post about how awesome it was to attend.

Enter Skoobs Theatre of Books. This is easily my favourite bookshop, with a pretty decent selection of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and of course all other book genres known to man. Throw in a champagne bar and a gaming area to keep the non readers happy and you have a cracking good store all round. They hosted a book bloggers get together on Saturday, with goody bags and yummy snacks of course included.

With a free drink in hand and some delicious bite sized treats consumed, it was quite surreal to listen as those around me discussed their favourite books, blogs and life in general. This doesn't happen often to me, seeing as I'm mostly an army of one when it comes to books an reading in my usual circles. It was like dipping my brain into some delicious candyfloss, quite refreshing and a bit weird, but in a good way.

The goody bag was way over the top and greatly appreciated. A free book, bookmarks, book light thingy, mini champagne that makes you feel like a giant when you hold it, chocolates and a weird book prop that keeps pages open that I have yet to figure out. It's awesome thanks. 

Now, by being quite shy and according to my wife, a little surly and grumpy looking, I did not interact with my fellow bloggers as much as I really wanted to and should have, but I did eavesdrop better than any assassin on many of the conversations. Honestly I was just glad to be there surrounded by like minded people having fun. I did have an extremely informative chat with one of the managers or owner of the shop - sorry I'm horrible with names - about the intricacies involved in running a bookshop as well as the situation with the Publishers struggles in the tough economic times we are experiencing and how the e-books are changing the publishing industry.

So thanks Skoobs, can't wait for the next one! It was an absolute blast.

6 comments:

  1. That's a good point you raised - about how ebooks are changing the publishing industry. I never thought of that while I was surrounded by an entire store of novels. You should share your knowledge sometime :-) Johann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowledge? I'll try to share what I heard but won't call it knowledge as such! The easiest impact to see is in reduced print runs for actual books, which could lead to the physical copies selling out fast, then having to wait for the next print run -if the book gets one- if you really want the physical book. Tighter economic times also contributes to this I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow didn't know about this. Johann please let me know when another event like this happens please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will do! Follow Skoobs on Facebook and Twitter, they have quite a few launches and bookclubs going on.

      Delete
  3. Was great chatting to you an meeting both you and your wife. Going to be reading your blog on a regular basis. Thanks for all the tips and the conversation!

    ReplyDelete